We've noticed a growing trend in our experience performing for weddings: weekday weddings! John Lewis reports a 43% increase in weekday wedding insurance requests. Thursdays in particular have become a more popular option for a number of reasons:
- Budget Savings: I'll tell you a secret in the wedding industry (or any industry really). People set their prices based on a variety of factors - the costs to produce their product, the demand, what the market will hold. But when given a choice between selling nothing and selling for less than full price, most vendors will opt to take a hit but still book the gig. And because so few people do weekday weddings, if you've got some bargaining skills, you can get some killer deals sometimes up to 20%
- Less Competition for Vendors: It can be disheartening to have your sites set on a specific vendor or venue only to find out they aren't available on your date. By opting for a weekday, your options broaden and you can have your pick from the cream of the crop.
- Flexible Work Options: It used to be the case that a weekday wedding would make it tough for people to attend when they have their 9-5 job the next day. But we're seeing the growing trend of work-from-home, flexible hours, 4 day weeks, etc. and with that means that one person's "weekend" may not be everyone's weekend, so you may be surprised at how many people will be glad for a Thursday wedding to jump start their 3 day weekend or Tuesday wedding before their Wednesday off.
- May help keep the guest list down. One downside to a weekday wedding is that it's tougher for out-of-town guests to travel to see you. BUT, depending on how you look at it, this could have a positive angle. Those who you are closest to will likely try to find a way to make it happen, but those who are more on the edge, might opt out which can help alleviate some of the stress of keeping that guests list down (which always seems like a major source of tension).
- Originality. Set your wedding apart from the crowd - make it yours and unique and by switching up the day of the week, you can buck the norm and go against the grain.
One major downside is that generally it is tougher to keep people on the dance floor if they have to get to work the next morning. BUT we have a great solution for that with Rock It Man Entertainment. By going with a more interactive, request-drive, high energy show, we can keep people engaged longer and keep the dance floor packed more than a typical DJ or Live Band would be able to.
Find out more about how to pin us down for your weekday wedding!